We believe it is important to be ready for any potential emergency at home, so that you can always feel safe and secure in the knowledge of what you should do, should the worst happen. Because of this, we have brought together our knowledge and years of experience to offer clients advice on what they should do in the event of a flooded kitchen.

If your property is in London, we can also offer specialist services for your plumbing, drainage, or even with full restoration and refurbishment for your kitchen if it has flooded. So, if you would prefer a dedicated team was called out to return every part of your property to normal, contact us today.


1: Turning Off the Water and Electricity

If your kitchen has flooded due to a burst pipe, your first course of action will be to turn off the water and ensure no more water can flood in and make it worse. This can be done by turning off the internal stopcock, which you are most likely to find under your kitchen sink. If it is not near the sink, it may be found nearby. If you cannot find the internal stopcock, your external stopcock (the main water line and supply into your home) can also be switched off.

When you shut off the water, you will also need to ensure that the electricity to your kitchen is shut off as well. This may be achieved by switching it off at the fuse. If any other rooms of your property are affected, these should also be included at this time.

We strongly suggest that this part of the process is carried out and checked over by a qualified electrician. They should clear any flooded room in your house before you attempt to enter it and start the cleaning process.


Claiming on Your Insurance for a Flooded Kitchen

If there is significant flood damage in your kitchen, you should always get in touch with your insurance company to make a claim. A successful insurance claim for a flooded kitchen may ensure you receive the funds needed to get the room repaired and restored.


2: Taking Care with Your Gas Oven

A view of oven dials

It must be noted that if you have flood water on your kitchen floor, this may affect your gas oven. It is possible that parts of your oven may need replacing after coming into contact with flood water. If it is safe to do so, you should turn off the gas supply to your property. If it is not safe, then you should always wait for help from a trained professional, or the emergency services where necessary.


3: Cleaning up and Controlling the Damage

When attempting to remove any standing water left by the flood, it is important to note which category of water it is before you begin. If the excess water is Category 1, it is likely to have come from a leak in a supply pipe or kitchen tap. As such, it should be clean and safe to handle. You should be able to mop this water up, or use old towels to soak it up.

If the water is Category 2, also called “grey water”, it is likely to be used water that has come from an appliance such as a dishwasher or washing machine. We would not recommend touching this water or removing it yourself, as there is a chance it will contain harmful bacteria or chemicals. If Category 2 water is left to stand for some time, it may be reclassified as Category 3 water.

If Category 2 water has recently been removed from your property, the affected area will need to be properly disinfected. This should be done while wearing the appropriate safety gear, such as eye protection, thick rubber or latex gloves and waterproof footwear.

Category 3 water, otherwise known as “black water”, is likely to be sewage water, seawater, rising water from rivers or streams, or excess surface water after bad weather. This water should never be handled by anyone other than experienced drainage engineers, so you should not attempt to touch it or remove it. You may also wish to consider installing flood-proof guards on your outside kitchen door, if flooding from external sources in an issue in your area.

If your kitchen is not on the ground floor of your property, there is a chance that the water may leak through the floor and the ceiling below. In these cases, the water should be collected in a bucket to prevent the flood damage from spreading.


4: Drying the Kitchen

After the excess water has been removed from your kitchen, you must ensure the room and its furnishings are dried out as soon as possible. If you have an air conditioner or dehumidifier, these may be used at this time. If not, or if you are unable to use these because it would not be safe, then open your windows and doors to allow the air to flow through. Drawers, cupboards and cabinets should be opened at this time in order to allow moisture to evaporate.

Any upholstery should be wiped thoroughly, but if it is attached to wood furniture, you should exercise caution. This is because wood furniture may be severely weakened if it comes into contact with floodwater.


5: Repairing the Flood Damage

Water damage in a kitchen

Once the kitchen has fully dried out, you will be able to inspect your property and see which parts require repair work. The advice you will need differs depending on which features in your kitchen have been damaged. For instance, if you have laminate flooring, you will need to pull up the affected planks and ensure they are replaced. You may also need to find a way of keeping the bare floor beneath flood-proof, if it is found that there is water underneath the floorboards.

The process you will need for repairing flood damage in a kitchen wall may vary, depending on the materials used in your property’s construction. To learn more, and to find the correct material for your home, please read our page on repairing water damage in the walls of a property.


6: Contacting a Specialist Service

While it is possible for you to nearly completely flood-proof your property and to carry out small amounts of repair and restoration work by yourself, we would recommend that you do not attempt to carry out significant work on damaged features. This is especially important if you do not have much experience with DIY, building, or restoration projects.

We say this because it is possible for further, accidental damage to be caused during repairs, if something should go wrong. Depending on the type of water damage you are attempting to fix, you may also be putting yourself at risk.

We would always suggest contacting a reliable, professional property maintenance firm to carry out the work you need on your kitchen.


To Restore Your Flooded Kitchen

Here at Property Rescue Services, we are fully prepared to help clients based in London when their own kitchens have suffered from flooding or water damage. If your own property in the capital is in need of specialist care and attention after a pipe has burst or a drain has backed up and overflown, we can provide the solution.

Get in touch via the phone or send us a message on our contact page and one of our members of staff will be glad to speak with you. As soon as we know what you need for your kitchen, we can book your property in for an appointment.